Research Institute for Industry
nCATS research group
To assess the mechanical performance of a novel design for a Total Knee Joint Replacement system (TKR), compare it to clinically proven designs and prepare a technical report used for submission as part of the European biomedical regulatory process.
- RIfI was commissioned to conduct a large series of Finite Element Analyses (FEA) of complete TKR systems in order to assess the mechanical performance of different designs and identify the best performing system.
- The goal was to simulate real physiological conditions.
- The aim was to provide an advanced technical report to support our client’s EU regulatory submission process.
What we did
- Developed a novel methodology combining Computed Tomography Imaging, Computer Aided Design, FEA and Rigid Body Dynamics simulations.
- Integrated complex technologies and diverse software environments.
- Worked closely with the design team and the client’s partners based overseas.
- Qualitative and quantitative demonstration of the superior performance of the new TKR design over existing ones.
- Saved time and money to our client by providing a wide range of established expertise, access to state-of-the-art software applications, biomechanical models and large-scale computing clusters.
- The findings of the RIfI study aided our client in achieving a regulatory CE marking.